[CT Birds] Yard activity

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 11:50:20 EDT 2016

8/26  Orange,
My bird baths are getting alot of activity with this heat.  A female
American RedStart was at one of the bird baths, splashing in and out for at
least 5 minutes straight.  The Blue Jay siblings take turns drinking and
bathing, along with most of the other yard birds.
The flock of turkeys (9 males, 2 hens) that meanders through the
neighborhood was in the yard yesterday and today.  The 2 huge males were
fanning their tails,gobbling, however since they are moulting (I assume),
it's a bit  humorous to see them strutting with only maybe 8 tail feathers,
and many spaces where the others should be.
I redid my butterfly/hummingbird garden since I wasn't having much luck
this year with the flowering.  Within 7 minutes of planting Coreopsis,
Agastache and a huge new Butterfly bush, the plantings were teeming with
bumble bees, honey bees, butterflies and other little insects. Amazing how
quickly they communicate the location of new food sources. Plus the
Butterfly bush has huge bumble bees, and at the Agastache are small bumble
bees.
I am hoping that the Hummingbirds pass through here again.  I have fuchsia
and other hanging pots to attract them.
Anyway, just a pleasant way to spend the day.
Bev Propen, Orange