[CT Birds] Groton Stilt Sandpiper, other shorebirds

Dyl Pedro pedrodyl at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 19:23:08 EDT 2016

Hey All,
Today at Eastern Point Rd. Pond in Groton, the water was quite high. There were no "peeps" to be had, but there were plenty of herons and egrets, as well as some Yellowlegs and a Spotted Sandpiper.
However, the pond across the street (I will call it Shennecossett Beach Pond for lack of a better name) was quite low and muddy, as Glenn Williams has previously alluded to, and it was full of shorebirds. The most numerous of which was Semipalmated Sandpipers at ~55 birds. However the main highlight was a Stilt Sandpiper on the western end of the pond. Also noteworthy were two Pectoral Sandpipers that I desperately tried to turn into Baird's, but their backlit yellow-green legs were just that: backlit.
Here are the checklists from the eBird:
Eastern Point Rd. Pond:

Shennecossett Beach Pond:

Good birding!