[CT Birds] Bluff Point 8/27

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 27 11:12:27 EDT 2016

8/27/16 - from Phil Rusch and Glenn Williams - Bluff Point State Park morning flight

185 warblers of 8 species
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 18
Purple Finch
Bobolink - 2 (certainly more than the two heard)
American Redstart - 130
Purple Martin - 24

Though the numbers weren't great and very few birds landed, most gave excellent and prolonged flight views, which is not the norm.  Though the flight was relatively light, it was steady for almost 2 1/2 hours.  Red-breasted Nuthatches are definitely on the move.  There was even one in my yard when I got home.  Eight Baltimore Orioles doing morning flight was nice as well.

Also, the previously reported Stilt Sandpiper continues at nearby (to Bluff Point) Shennecossett Beach Pond, but there was no sign of the Pectoral Sandpipers.

Glenn Williams