[CT Birds] Yellow-bellied Flycatcher Stratford Point photo

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Sat Aug 27 20:05:28 EDT 2016

I found the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher quickly after arriving at
Stratford Point as it was foraging along Prospect Drive mostly across
from our driveway. Here's a photo:

That was my third for the site, all in August, with the previous two
being in 2010 and 2012. I later added a Least Flycatcher, and an empid
that was probably an Acadian. Patrick and I also had an Eastern
Wood-Pewee and the typical Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, House Wren, Yellow
Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, etc. There were a couple Red-breasted
Nuthatch as he mentioned, and I added another at home today plus the
Purple Finch again, a couple more Gnatcatchers, and an active
Ruby-throated Hummingbird that inspected all the feeders while sipping
on flowers.

We look to get weak cold fronts Monday afternoon-evening and then
Wednesday night with the following days being good for new migrants and
some more raptors. The end of the week may provide a few good days and
thankfully more seasonable air.

Oh, and check out CBS Sunday Morning tomorrow for a feature on Roger
Tory Peterson in their Almanac section for his birthday!

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
311 Curtis Street
Jamestown, NY 14701