[CT Birds] Eagleville (Mansfield) Nighthawks.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Aug 27 20:27:12 EDT 2016

Saturday, 8/27
Good night tonight at the Eagleville dam, if somewhat odd. I  saw nothing
at all until after 7 PM, and after last night  (see below) I  was thinking of
calling it a night. But a flock of 25 materialized almost over  my head,
going south, unseen until very close because they were very high, more  like a
flight of Broadwings.
Then for another 10 minutes or so I saw nothing. But on the  other side of
the lake there were suddenly birds all over the sky, again very  high, and
going north! This was a much larger flock - I counted 61 but that's a
serious undercount because a lot had gone by before I found them. And again
another 10 minutes later another flock going north, this time, 76. Undercounted
again. And finally a few minutes later another 12.
The overall total was  149, and I left out the initial 25  because I feel
they might have  joined or been a part of one of the other  flocks. Unlike
other nights, no small groups or singles at all, and these birds  were at
least twice as high and any I saw on previous  nights.
Last night, Friday, 8/26.
I headed over to Eagleville, but as I was going south through  Coventry on
Rt 31 I saw a total of 11 nighthawks, most right at the top of the  hill
between the town hall and the fire station. I continued on to Eagleville  and
saw a total of 5 birds and left early. Seems there's no telling where and in
what numbers they will be seen. Not to mention the south-north low-high
flight  conundrum.
Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com