[CT Birds] Nocturnal flight calls, Maine.

brian kulvete briankulvete at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 12:26:48 EDT 2016

I just spent a week, solo camping and photographing moose up around the Moosehead lake area of Maine.  I bounced around a lot on logging road campsites, but everywhere I was had loads of juvenile warblers and I seemed to end up in a large valleys at all my camping spots.

Last Friday, a very strong front with north winds blew through and light winds continued until I came home, yesterday.  Temps were cold at night (50 degrees), so there was no insect noise, so I was serenaded, nightly, to nocturnal flight calls all night long.  Juveniles also seemed to be gone after the strong frontal boundary and I noticed an increase of Dark-eyed juncos and white-throated sparrows take their place the next morning.

Having never heard flight calls before, I almost thought I had dreamed this all up.  I am now enamored with them, after a little research.  Faint calls of flocks of birds went on for about 20-30 minutes then very little, then a whole different species of calls would go through.  This happened nightly and all night long and was clear to hear as there is NO ambient sounds, other than my tinitus or the occasional pack of coyotes calling around.  I wish I knew what birds were calling.  The only ones I positively picked out was when a huge amount of red-breasted nuthatch flew overhead.  They were, by far, the most abundant species I saw up there.

I know this hasn't much to do with CT, but I just wanted to share my excitement with the birding community.

Migrants are on the way, but i'm sure you all knew that.  :)

Brian KulveteBloomfield, CT