[CT Birds] Back pedaling on the hybrid gull.

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Sep 1 10:15:32 EDT 2016

I'm now thinking the gull was just a slightly less than adult Great Black-backed Gull.   It sure looked really pale-backed at some angles in the field, but that could be explained by patchy coverage of adult feathers.  While shades of gray and black are very hard to tell in photos my distant photos don't really show evidence for it being so pale, so perhaps I'm just losing my mind.  The head streaking (only apparent in the field not the photos) could also be explained by it being a slightly less than adult bird.   Or maybe I'm just going blind or losing my mind :)

Patrick

Phone: (203)405-9115  http://ct.audubon.org/
Stratford Point is on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/StratfordPoint/
https://www.facebook.com/AudubonAlliance/

Plants for Birds!
Find the best plants in your area on Audubon's new Plants for Birds Database here
...and check out this cool video about the campaign here!