[CT Birds] Pachaug State Forest, mixed flocks, doves, wood ducks, nighthawks, all in the northbound

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sun Sep 4 06:01:01 EDT 2016

Saturday afternoon in Pachaug State Forest (Griswold/Voluntown) one flock of sixty-plus wood ducks seen in a marsh, taking flight I did not recognize any males in breeding plumage and they appeared very dark.  One red-tailed hawk was inside the marsh when I arrived and it took flight.  One broad-winged flew through some time later as I was combing through the marsh edges with least skippers, browns, and pearly-eyes.  Down Trail II Rd. a mixed flock foraged noting the Baltimore orioles (a bad photo), scarlet tanagers, several yellow-throated and some red-eyed vireos and there was one flock of mourning doves numbering over 100.  After 18:00 I located a flock of chipping sparrows and goldfinches over the hill with less than twenty bluebirds and many imms. are in this flock.  Three common nighthawks appear to be at the lead of this flock and one was roosting directly above me before all were flying or running north into the forest.  Which is better today than the implications of flying in the other direction.  I heard some towhees and there are some pine and yellow warblers and though I didn't hear many they call quite loudly.
Brian Williams       Griswold