[CT Birds] slow movement today

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 19:35:15 EDT 2016

Yes, we have had 30-50 AMOY at various times via Stratford Point/Short
Beach/Milford Point in the last few weeks. Work by Audubon Connecticut and
the Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural History in the Audubon
Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds along with CT DEEP and USFWS has really
yielded a lot of success with them in CT over the past several seasons!
Last year was tremendous and you can read the results in this blog entry
from January: http://ctwaterbirds.blogspot.com/2016/01/2015-
monitoring-results.html

As I wrote, "The [2015 Connecticut] population, consisting of 161
individuals that included 52 breeding pairs and 57 non-breeding
individuals, was spread out over 31 different sites including barrier
beaches and offshore islands. The breeding pairs successfully fledged an
astronomical total of 64 chicks resulting in 1.23 (chicks/breeding pair)
productivity. This is a dramatic increase in productivity from previous
years, doubling or nearly tripling recent results."

And now we see those and this season's results with large numbers of birds
staging in the Sound. Our work with Piping Plovers had incredible historic
success in 2014 and 2015, too, setting records for fledged birds and
breeding pairs. This year was a bit more difficult with frequent
disturbance issues and tidal problems largely out of our control, but it
was still a solid effort. If you ever want to help out as an official
monitor/steward for USFWS, CT DEEP and AAfCW - as dozens of you already do
- then please email us at ctwaterbirds at gmail.com.

Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch