[CT Birds] Requiem for my Hummer Feeder

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Thu Sep 1 10:35:36 EDT 2016

Hi, Zellene!
Sounds like someone did a e-blast to the local wildlife about your
wonderful restaurant!
I'm sure the desperation comes from the drought. We have birdbaths in
our yard that have attracted more unusual visitors this year than in the
past (saw a downy woodpecker drinking from one last night, something
I've never witnessed; I've also had to wait for thirsty wasps to stop
drinking before I could clean the baths out and refill them).
Have you considered hummingbird-friendly plants instead? There are some
guaranteed winners you could try (black-and-blue salvia; four-o-clocks)
that also work well in containers, if you have limited space.
Well, the season's almost over - good luck!
:-)  Tammy Eustis, Chester