[CT Birds] Hammo Baird's and Buff-breasted Sandpipers

Chuck Imbergamo imbercj at comcast.net
Sun Sep 4 19:53:50 EDT 2016

Finally stopped over to Hammonasset State Park to look for the Baird's and Buff-breasted Sandpipers but found kite flying in the area of the puddles. Finally located the Baird's in the western-most puddle but it flew east after some time.

Then met a nice young birder named Nick and we relocated the Baird's in the large puddle in the lot across from the Swan Pond.

Thanks to Nick's sharp eyes, he located the Buff-breasted Sandpiper pair in the main field north of the west parking lot.  We got great views and many photos as the birds worked the field, sometimes in the company of several Killdeer.

Hopefully these birds will stay the night and other birders can see them tomorrow!

Chuck Imbergamo