[CT Birds] Stratford Point butterfly (and bird) walk 9/10

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Thu Sep 8 09:33:31 EDT 2016

I figured I should cross post this butterfly walk at Stratford Point as
many of you are also fans, and because you know Patrick and I will be
watching for and calling out any good birds, too. Steady decent
migration should continue over the next week with a weak cold front
coming through Friday and a better one late Saturday into Sunday behind
this consistent NE flow thanks to Hermine. We have tons and tons of
great butterflies lately, too! Come on down. It is free and open to the
public.

Butterfly Walk at Stratford Point
Saturday, September 10 at 10AM
Stratford Point, Stratford

Leaders: Patrick Comins, Director of Bird Conservation, Audubon Connecticut
Scott Kruitbosch, Conservation & Outreach Coordinator, Roger Tory
Peterson Institute of Natural History
Connecticut Butterfly Association Vice President

Explore Stratford Point's 28 upland acres filled with grasslands,
pollinator meadows, feed plots, and a variety of shrubs and trees for
common to rare species at this beautiful coastal site. This is one of
the best places to find Monarchs in abundance in all of Connecticut, and
likely the only property in the state with two annual broods of Swarthy
Skipper. Little Yellow and Cloudless Sulphur can be found here with a
variety of hairstreaks, swallowtails, and many other skippers including
unexpected or scarce species. Easy walking on pavement and grass paths.
Bring water and sunscreen. Binoculars and a spotting scope are advisable
to enjoy the views. An office building with restrooms is on the site.

Directions: Stratford Point is located at 1207 Prospect Drive,
Stratford. It is on the left of the street before the lighthouse and the
entry driveway has a large metal gate with the address on it.

Please RSVP to Scott at skruitbosch at rtpi.org.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator