[CT Birds] Hammonasset

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 09:10:48 EDT 2016

The short answer is that we are not allowed access west of East Beach
parking lot until 8 a.m. so as not to disturb the campers.  With fall
morning flight in full swing, I hope many more birders will take advantage
of the early access program. Here's the full notice:

PILOT PROGRAM FOR EARLY ACCESS TO HAMMONASSET​ BEACH STATE PARK

The DEEP, State Parks Division is announcing a pilot program to allow
birders and photographers early morning access, mirroring the access
currently permitted for fishing.  The pilot program, developed in
conjunction with the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA) will be
debuted at Hammonasset Beach State Park, beginning on the May 21st and
running until October 10th.

Such early access will be permitted to birders in possession of a current
(2016) Connecticut Migratory Bird Conservation (Duck) Stamp and bird
watching gear.  The Duck Stamps cost $13.00 (fishing license is $14.00) and
can be obtained at most Town Clerk’s offices and at many retail outlets.
The following link has information on the Duck Stamp and a link to outlets
for purchase.  You do not need to get the stamp itself, the receipt is all
that is needed.  Note:  Do not try to heat laminate this piece of paper as
it renders it unreadable!

 http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2723&Q=492150&deepNav
_GID=1655%20#History

This is how it will work:

The gate is manned 24/7 during the summer.  Permits are available from 5:30
p.m. to 6:30 a.m.  Due to the fact that beachgoers begin lining up for 8:00
a.m. entry by 6:30 a.m., no entry will be allowed between the hours of 6:30
a.m. and 8:00 a.m. You may leave the park, but not enter.

person in the car must possess a Duck Stamp with the exception of children
under 16 years of age. You would arrive at the main gate, show your Duck
Stamp and bird watching gear, enter the office to sign the log, and receive
a pass.  You would already need to have purchased a duck stamp (available
on-line), as DEEP does not have the capability to sell them anywhere in the
park.  There is no charge for the permit.  This permit that you receive is
to be displayed on the dashboard of the car.

*Birding access will be limited to certain areas in the park.  *To avoid
disturbing campers, access will be limited to the following areas during
this pilot program:

Birders will be allowed to stop for bird viewing and photography from the
East Beach parking lot, and further east to Meigs Point.  For birders
accessing East Beach parking area, and also birding along the road from
East Beach to Meigs, we will ask that folks remain in the near vicinity of
their cars.  As previously discussed, we will also authorize birding
activities in the general Meigs Point, Willard Island area.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut