[CT Birds] CT "Big Day" 9/2/16

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 11:28:05 EDT 2016

Hi all,

A belated note on a Big Day from last Friday. Frank Gallo, Greg
Hanisek and I decided to do a casual statewide Big Day since a front
had passed on Thursday and we figured there would be a decent
migration behind the front. We went from 6a-8p and tallied 127
species. The state September record is 131 species (Greg was also a
part of that team); we gave that a pretty good run and had a great
time doing it.

Here are some notes:
Groton, Bluff Pt - decent morning, though nothing really landed at the
hot corner itself so most IDs were done in flight. 2 COMMON
NIGHTHAWKS, YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER, DICKCISSEL and PURPLE FINCH
were notable.
Madison, Hammo - BUFF-BREASTED and BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS, slow offshore
Guilford, Shell Beach - immature LITTLE BLUE HERON, a few GREEN-WINGED
TEAL, few shorebirds as water level remains higher than in past two
summers
Stratford coast - molting adult male BOAT-TAILED GRACKLE and both TEAL
at the warehouse pond
West Haven, Sandy Pt - Many FORSTER'S plus a BLACK and ROSEATE TERN
among the throngs of Common Terns
Branford, Ecology Pk - steady trickle of migrating raptors
Bethany, Downs Rd powerline cut - flurry of local & migrant passerines

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com