[CT Birds] Very interesting Martin over Audubon Greenwich

ryanmac335 at gmail.com ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 17:19:06 EDT 2016

About an hour ago Phil Ribolow and I spotted a swallow-type bird over Quaker Ridge Hawk Watch in Greenwich CT. The bird was clearly a Martin in wing/tail shape and flight pattern but even at a distance it was noticeably white on the chest and brownish overall. While it easily could have been a pale/worn female Purple Martin I couldn't help but to also think of Brown-Chested Martin since there have been records in the Northeast. Unfortunately the bird was all too distant to distinguish more diagnostic field marks and it eventually drifted north but if I were you I'd keep an eye on any swallow you see. Possible Cave Swallows were reported today in Queens as well so who knows what the offshore storm could have brought up.
-Ryan MacLean

Sent from my iPhone