[CT Birds] A creche of eider in CT!

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Sep 10 19:42:46 EDT 2016

I’ve read that Common Eider, upon completing their nesting for the season,
organize themselves into large flocks made up of females and juveniles (the
males go off by themselves) and spend the rest of the summer and early fall
together.  The flock size can range from 20 to more than 150 birds.  The
group is referred to as a crèche and we have such a group here in CT this
summer. They can be found along the west side of the Thames River mouth, in
the vicinity of the lighthouse, near Ocean Beach Park. They can be viewed up
close from Pequot Road or from a distance from the Cross Sound Ferry. Their
presence likely indicates that they nested nearby.  We counted 42 birds in
this flock today.  A few photos of the birds can be found in our ebird
report from today.  I remarked that this was the first time I watched a
flock of eider while wearing shorts and a t-shirt!

Good birding.

Chris Loscalzo with Marianne Vahey,