[CT Birds] Hanover Pond

Folsom-O'Keefe, Corrie cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org
Fri Sep 16 16:58:00 EDT 2016

Here is this morning's list from Hanover Pond:

Hanover Pond, New Haven, Connecticut, US
Sep 16, 2016 8:21 AM - 10:42 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.207 kilometer(s)
Comments:    <br />Submitted from eBird Android 1.2.5
33 species

Canada Goose  31
Mute Swan  18
American Black Duck  1
Mallard  75
Green-winged Teal  9    Females or males in non-breeding plumage.
Double-crested Cormorant  22
Great Blue Heron  3
Great Egret  8
Osprey  1
Semipalmated Plover  6
Killdeer  3
Least Sandpiper  30
Buff-breasted Sandpiper  1    First thing I noticed is that the head and front end of the bird are a warm yellow orange color. The black eye stands out. it almost looks like there's a wide white or pale yellow eye ring around the eye. Legs definitely have some yellow to them although I suspect there is mud on them that makes them look darker than they actually are. Peak is not too long and fairly petite. Bigger than least sandpipers it was hanging with.
Semipalmated Sandpiper  1
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Lesser Yellowlegs  1
Ring-billed Gull  58
Herring Gull  5
Belted Kingfisher  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Peregrine Falcon  1    Flushed the shorebirds.
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  2
Fish Crow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  2