[CT Birds] NW CT - Red Crossbills+

Peter DeGennaro degennap at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 20:10:52 EDT 2016

9/17 - Benedict Pond, Norfolk -  Jason Rieger, Doug Warner, Ray Belding,
Deb Bishop, and I had at least 4 Red Crossbills across the street from the
south end of the pond. Also around were a Purple Finch, many Red-breasted
Nuthatches, and a Common Raven. For those looking for the crossbills, scan
the white pines that line the pond. We first heard the flock fly in, but
they didn't call while feeding in the pines. One male eventually came down
and we had some good looks.

Earlier, I visited Robbins Swamp WMA in Canaan where I flushed a Ruffed
Grouse; there was also a Bald Eagle soaring above the Housatonic.

Peter DeGennaro
Naugatuck