[CT Birds] Just a heads up: Olive-sided vs. Pewee

Brendan Murtha bmskua at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 18 20:43:45 EDT 2016

Today while chasing the Say's Phoebe (which was still present when I left at 6:15) myself and several other birders got on a flycatcher teed up along a fence that we called an Olive-sided Flycatcher (the bird was sporting a pretty distinctive "vest"). However, photo review shows this bird was actually a bright Eastern Wood Pewee. I definitely fell for the dangerous "trap of expectation", since we were all on high alert for the previously reported Olive-sided. Just a heads up, please carefully scrutinize any flycatchers seen in the orchard. I don't know the names of the other birders I was with, but this was during the 5:45-6:15 area.
Thanks to Jeremy Nance for finding the Phoebe, what an awesome bird. Brendan MurthaNorwalk