[CT Birds] Hell Hollow Pond on Sunday (Voluntown/Plainfield)

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Wed Sep 21 19:31:37 EDT 2016

Sunday afternoon on Hell Hollow Pond (Plainfield/Voluntown) right off there was one northern harrier with three turkey vultures in tow over the pond.  Patient waiting and inspecting the forest management underway yielded a mixed flock of nuthatches, chickadees, downey and pileated woodpeckers, brown tree creepers, yellow-throated vireos, pine and blackpoll warblers. The birds were alternating above and below the canopy so quickly that it was difficult to focus on them for more than a split second. Soon they were taking direction about the circumference of the pond. Eight killdeers were on muddy ground inside the pond and one called from nearby.  Later and further down Pachaug Trail another mixed flock moved into the area where phoebes were commanding a low post route in the trees.  Although hearing textbook indigo bunting songs I could not visually identify one.  There were frequent instances as well of rapid ascent and descent along the tree trunks but I would not clearly zoom in to find the buntings.  Seen however were black and white warbler (f), ruby-crowned kinglet, downey and red-bellied woodpeckers, yellow-throated vireos, pine and blackpoll warblers, titmice, nuthatches and chickadees.  Eastern wood-pewees were distant.  It is possible that osprey are nearby based on the calls I heard from the direction of Mt. Misery Brook and this has occurred in recent autumns.      Brian Williams      Griswold