[CT Birds] re to Patrick Comins suggestion to plant for birds...

Dennis Riordan driordan at snet.net
Wed Sep 21 21:21:55 EDT 2016

As a followup to Paul Carrier’s post, here’s a snippet form the July Menunkatuck AS newsletter:

Just letting the grass grow is better for invertebrates

For the last four years students from the Common Ground High School Green Jobs Corps have been monitoring invertebrate diversity and abundance at New Haven’s Beaver Ponds Park Urban Oases. In 2015 because of a construction project the control site which was part of athletic fields was not mowed as it had been. It became more like a meadow than a lawn. With no other changes invertebrate diversity increased from 28 to 97; abundance increased from 220 to 1485. The 2016 survey was conducted on July 22. The construction has been completed and the control area has been mowed. Diversity has not been established. However, invertebrate abundance decreased to only around 50.

The Common Ground students wrote about the results of the insect surveys:

http://seagrant.uconn.edu/publications/magazines/wracklines/fallwinter15/urban.pdf <http://seagrant.uconn.edu/publications/magazines/wracklines/fallwinter15/urban.pdf>
https://www.fws.gov/refuges/refugeupdate/NovDec_2015/refuge-partnerships.html <https://www.fws.gov/refuges/refugeupdate/NovDec_2015/refuge-partnerships.html>

Dennis Riordan
New Haven