[CT Birds] Connecticut Warblers - Wangunk Meadows WMA, Portland

cimbaro at att.net cimbaro at att.net
Thu Sep 22 22:41:01 EDT 2016

Portland, Wangunk Meadows WMA ~7:30 A.M.  This morning I had 3 Connecticut Warblers at the north end of Wangunk Meadows.  All three appeared to be first year or female birds featuring brownish hoods, although one seemed to have a tinge of gray and a brighter eye-ring.  The three were found by walking the dirt road which runs from the gated entrance along the west edge of the field.  One was seen ~ 50 yards from the gate in a tangle at the edge of the woods and promptly took flight overhead towards the opposite tree line.  The other two were together ~300 yards farther on in a thin hedgerow of small trees and brush running from the tree line out into the field, where the road turns right into the woods.  These were cooperative, perching at times in the open.  In my excitement I had trouble framing the birds in my camera and was only able to capture a few decent shots of just one of the birds, which I'll post with my eBird report shortly.  This hedgerow had a lot of other bird activity, with several Common Yellowthroats and a number of sparrows which I mostly missed while observing the Connecticut Warblers.
The north end of Wangunk Meadows is reached by taking Old Maids Lane in Glastonbury to Tryon Street in Portland down to the south end of the street.
Dan Cimbaro - Colchester, CT