[CT Birds] Wilton New Arrivals

Mike Warner mjwarner at optonline.net
Sun Oct 2 11:51:30 EDT 2016

10/2/16 - Wilton - Schenks Island Park, across from the Stop & Shop complex.

Morning bird walk with many new arrivals in the park where the little
footbridge trail meets the main trail.  Ran out of time for a full tour.

Saw FOS White-throated Sparrows and seven warbler species.

eBird report -  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31852418

Also -  There have been occasional reports of a dark Heron in the  Allens
Meadow area in the past month.  Most likely a melanistic bird, they are

uncommon across the Great Blue Heron range but do pop up here and there.
Yesterday (10/1) the bird was posing for me while  stalking  ground

mammals which it seems to doing very well at.  Some comments about this bird
in other locations is that it has a greasy appearance.  Not at all,

as the feathers are dry and the bird is very healthy.

eBird report with two photos -

Looks like a great Sparrow season heading our way.

Mike Warner

Wilton CT.