[CT Birds] Blue Grosbeak at Portland Fairgrounds

cimbaro at att.net cimbaro at att.net
Tue Oct 4 20:00:01 EDT 2016

This morning I found a female/1st fall Blue Grosbeak at the Portland Fairgrounds.  This bird showed two broad buffy wingbars, was considerably bulkier in appearance than the adjoining Savannah Sparrows, and it's 'chink' call note (which I remember from the birds I've seen in Florida) was quite distinctive from Indigo Bunting's. The bird was in the brushy corner where the main entrance road cuts sharply left toward the river.
Regards,
Dan CimbaroColchester, CT