[CT Birds] Station 43 Big Sit

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Sun Oct 9 17:13:50 EDT 2016

At 5 AM, a local radio station that shall go unnamed forecast isolated showers with slow clearing by noon.  Thus, we set up shop on the Hartford Audubon Society Platform at Station 43 Marsh at 6 AM, the usual site for our annual Big Sit.  By 7 AM, the rains had come and the forecast had changed to rain throughout the day.   Of note was the lack of water in the marsh, not surprising in light of the far below average precipitation all this year.  Where we usually see several hundred wood ducks, this year we saw fewer than 20.  We did not see a mallard.  We did see 8 American Egrets, where we usually struggle to add a single individual of that species to our list.  With a steady rain, there would be little movement of migrants, no raptors in the air, and few water birds. We hung in there until just after 9 AM  and then called it a day, tallying a meager 42 species, our lowest total ever.  Noting notable to report.

Jay Kaplan and Brian Kleinman
Station 43 Big Sit