[CT Birds] LHP 10-3-16 R-h Woodpkrs

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 18:39:07 EDT 2016

We had a little over 60 raptors today at Lighthouse Point in New Haven. Most of the birds appeared between 10 a.m. and noon, after the morning's heavy overcast lifted, offering blue sky and cumulus clouds. Despite light NW winds from the start, the heavy overcast really suppressed the flight. During peak time the birds were high and the winds shifted to SW a bit before 11. As often happens the nice movement continued for awhile on unfavorable winds but dwindled to a trickle from noon to 1 p.m. (33 birds 11-12 vs 3 birds 12-1).
We had two flyover Dickcissels, giving their distinctive "whoopee cushion" calls,but the highlight was the repeated appearance of Red-headed Woodpeckers. We had about 8 sightings but could confirm only 3 individuals. One several occasions we saw birds fly back into East Haven, opposite the normal departure direction. We had at least one juvenile and at least two adults, because at one point two adults flew in together and both landed in the top of a tree. I think every bird we saw landed at least once, and everyone in the park, both the hawk watchers and the participants in a Sunrise Birding walk, saw at least one.
Thanks for help with those high raptors to Paul Desjardins, Bill Banks, Sol Satin, Frank Mantlik, Gina Nichol, Steve Bird and Chris Reynolds.
Greg Hanisek