[CT Birds] Probable Dickcissel, Audubon Greenwich

ryanmac335 at gmail.com ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:00:27 EDT 2016

Had a very likely DICKCISSEL in the front field next to the hawkwatch at Audubon Greenwich around 9:25. Heard a sharp, slightly buzzy chipnote and had the bird perch for long enough to make out a distinct facial pattern and bill. Haven't been able to relocate it since.

Last October we banded one on the property in the same area so I wouldn't be surprised if it hung around with the nearby group of House Sparrows like theyve done before here. Otherwise many Yellow-Rump/Palm Warblers, 1 male Black-Throated Blue Warbler, Blue-Headed Vireo, Sapsucker, male Purple Finch and a couple Red-Breasted Nuthatches. Not expecting much hawk-wise but a Sandhill Crane would be nice....

-Ryan MacLean

Sent from my iPhone