[CT Birds] LHP Great day

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 20:20:48 EDT 2016

The hawk flight today at Lighthouse Point in New Haven was the best this year or last, thanks to very good (because of favorable NW winds) but not great (cloudless sky) weather conditions. CT's (and NY's and MA's and VT's to name some visitors) hawk watchers know a good day when they see it, bringing out more than 30 folks on a weekday to see and help with the counts.
As a result we logged 882 diurnal raptors of the 10 most expected species (no N Goshawk, Golden Eagle or Rough-legged Hawk). Other birds of interest included a humminbird sp;  a Black-billed Cuckoo seen by Nick Bonomo and others at close range on the ground after I left at 4:15 p.m.; a late Common Nighthawk, 2 or 3 late Cliff Swallows (carefully checked for Cave Swallow); and one Vesper Sparrow.
Among the throng of helpers were Steve Mayo (Lighthouse honcho), Sol Satin, Bill Banks, Frank Gallo, Nick Bonomo, Julian Hough, Steve Walter (NY), Paul Roberts (MA), Tom from Putney Mt (VT) hawk watch, Frank Mantlik, Tina Green, Phil Rusch, Paul Desjardins, Dana Campbell, Don Morgan, Lynn James, Arne Rosengren (emeritus), Ed Haesche, Daniel Field, and a dozen or so more.
Greg HanisekWaterbury