[CT Birds] Machimoodus - lots of bird activity this morning

Stuart Winquist stuartwinquist at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 17 12:12:17 EDT 2016

I was walking my dog there this morning and haven't seen it this active with birds in a while.  I spent a few minutes looking for Dan Rottino's thrasher from yesterday, which I didn't find but wish I had more time and my better binocs.  Species include song, white throated & field sparrows by the first pond. A mixed flock of 40 birds moving through the brush along the pond near the river - included at least 5 yellow rumps and a couple of chickadees.  Red-breasted nuthatches in several locations in the woods, an adult Coopers trying for a small bird in the large field, being trailed moments later by an immature looking for a hand out? Also watched a blue bird chase 3 blue jays out of its tree.
Stuart Winquist
East Hampton

Sent from my iPhone