[CT Birds] Pipit at Sherwood

Preston Lust prestonlust at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 14:01:00 EDT 2016

Probable Sprague's Pipit

|   |    |

|    |
Probable Sprague's Pipit
   |   |

 From the video alone, one can see an overall light, beige color which American pipit lacks. Most striking is the back, which is darkly patterned. When the bird walks, once scrutinized closely, one can make out pink legs. While not a high quality video, many field marks are shown.

    On Sunday, October 23, 2016 1:34 PM, Preston Lust via CTBirds <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org> wrote:

 1:00 PM -- Sherwood Island State Park, Westport

My brother and I were walking along the airfield today, when we surprisedly noticed a small bird about 6 feet in front of us. After looking at it through my bins for awhile, I realised I had no clue what it was. We instantly started recording and videotaping it with our phones. I wrote down field marks as I saw it. From what the video shows and what our spectacular views indicated, we almost definitely had a Sprague's pipit. When I return home I will upload the video on Flickr. Alas, the bird flew away and CALLED as it did. The wind may have been too strong to discern the call, but I will evaluate the extent of obscurity later. I am no expert on differences of pipit calls, however, but I heard it decently well. Peculiarities of the ID I will describe later. I will send out the video.

Preston Lust, Westport

Sent from my iPhone