[CT Birds] Living Bird magazine article on shade grown coffee and wood warblers

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 17 10:11:48 EDT 2016

I am reading a nice article in the Living Bid magazine, of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology,  concerning shade grown coffee and wood warblers from North America who over winter in shade grown coffee plantations in Central and South America. I know lots of folks here know how it is good for our North American wood warblers to drink Smithsonian Bird Center certified Bird Friendly coffee as it supports the coffee plantations in Central and South American that grow true shade grown coffee but it is bit shocking to discover in this article  that Bird Friendly shade grown coffee sales in the USA is only 0.1 percent of coffee sales here in the USA. So if one does not support saving forests in Central and South America that help "our" wood warblers be healthy before they return to North America in the Spring give some serious consideration to start buying Bird Friendly shade grown coffee. By increasing the sales of Bird Friendly shade grown coffee we encourage coffee growers in Central and South America to grow their coffee this way, helping "our" wood warblers at the same time. I have attached an item on Smithsonian Bird Center Birds Friendly coffee. Bird Friendly shade grown coffee is a bit more expensive but it is good. Bird Friendly coffee can be purchased online if you can not find it locally.

David W BabingtonWashington, CT
Bird Friendly Coffee

|   |
Bird Friendly Coffee
 Find out the connection between shade grown coffee and migratory birds.  |   |