[CT Birds] SAGU x 2!! : new pelagic trip date OCTOBER 22.

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 12:44:18 EDT 2016

Results of our Oct.22 pelagic trip were surprisingly good....
This NECWA trip was jointly organized with NECWA (Krill Carson) and HAS
(Hartford Audubon Society).
Here are first draft numbers, thanks to Jim Berry....
NOTE:  TWO Sabine's Gulls!
==================

> Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary
> Oct 22, 2016 8:30 AM - 3:20 PM
> Comments:  We covered the bank from end to end.  Totals are tentative,
> pending comparison of numbers with Jim Sweeney and Peter Flood.
> 13 species (+1 other taxon)

> Common Eider  53     These were birds seen well out at sea and do not
> include any in Gloucester Harbor.
> Northern Fulmar  4
> Cory's Shearwater  350
> Great Shearwater  280
> Sooty Shearwater  8
> Manx Shearwater  6
> shearwater sp.  650     My rough estimate of large shearwaters seen at a
> distance--there were many hundreds of shearwaters out there today, well
> over 1000 in total
> Northern Gannet  195  (all ages, but mostly adults)
> Pomarine Jaeger  4
> Black-legged Kittiwake  28  (mostly immatures)
> SABINE'S GULL  2     Immature and adult, seen by virtually every birder on
> board.  Both had the beautiful black and white triangles on the wings.
> They were smaller than the kittiwakes they flew with, and the immature
> kittiwakes provided a nice contrast.
> Bonaparte's Gull  1     this bird too was on the bank
> Herring Gull  X
> Great Black-backed Gull  X

More to come,
including an update coming on