[CT Birds] Pipit at Sherwood

Preston Lust prestonlust at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 13:33:54 EDT 2016

1:00 PM -- Sherwood Island State Park, Westport

My brother and I were walking along the airfield today, when we surprisedly noticed a small bird about 6 feet in front of us. After looking at it through my bins for awhile, I realised I had no clue what it was. We instantly started recording and videotaping it with our phones. I wrote down field marks as I saw it. From what the video shows and what our spectacular views indicated, we almost definitely had a Sprague's pipit. When I return home I will upload the video on Flickr. Alas, the bird flew away and CALLED as it did. The wind may have been too strong to discern the call, but I will evaluate the extent of obscurity later. I am no expert on differences of pipit calls, however, but I heard it decently well. Peculiarities of the ID I will describe later. I will send out the video.

Preston Lust, Westport

Sent from my iPhone