[CT Birds] SPRAGUE'S PIPIT kudos, Laughers

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 23 19:48:25 EDT 2016

10/23. A BIG Shout Out to Preston & Terry Lust for finding and correctly identifying Connecticut's first SPRAGUE'S PIPIT at Sherwood Island today. Their prompt actions in getting word out also allowed many (30?) birders and photographers to see it and record it. Congratulations, and thank you, guys!

There are 2 records for Massachusetts: Provincetown airport (17 Dec 1988-12 Feb 1989); Wachusett Reservoir, Clinton (26 Oct-2 Nov 1991).
Note that today's CT bird coincides with the latter MA date.

After enjoying that bird, I stopped late afternoon at Seaside Park in Bridgeport to look for rare gulls. These strong westerly winds presented a similar weather pattern to last November's unprecedented influx of Franklin's Gulls into CT and the northeast. I found thousands of gulls, including 230 Laughing Gulls (majority being adults)in several sizable flocks, but could find nothing rare among them. This site bears watching in the next few days/weeks.

Frank Mantlik

Sent from my iPhone