[CT Birds] Wangunk Meadows

sharon dellinger sdell1964 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 20:38:33 EDT 2016

We spent a little over 2 hours at Wangunk Meadows (2-4:15) this afternoon.
The highlight for us was ? Ruffed Grouse which we flushed from the
cornfield as we walked by.  Terrible view as it flew off into the sun, but
shockingly loud slower wing beats as it came up, large rotund body with
small head slightly raised c/t the body, no ability to see distinguishing
marks (not a pheasant, way too small for turkey)
Other highlights:
3 Great Blue Heron  and immature Bald Eagle by the GBH
rookery, Ruby-Crowned and Golden-Crowned Kinglets along the trail, several
Yellow-Rumped Warbler, small flock of Cedar Waxwing along the field edge
Several hawks: pair of Cooper's interacting in the air, at least 4
Red-Tailed over the cornfield.
I also suspect American Pipits, pale bellies, light brown backs, darker
tail, few inches smaller than nearby Starlings, but again bad lighting,
heard a few "pip"calls

Sharon and Roy Dellinger