[CT Birds] LHP White-winged Dove, migrants

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 18:44:46 EDT 2016

Today's highlight at the Lighthouse Point hawk watch in New Haven was a White-winged Dove that made a brief appearance but may not have left the immediate area. First spotted by Sol Satin as it flew through the park, it flew toward the lighthouse and appeared to land out of sight in trees near the lighthouse, Sol and I walked down to try to relocate it, and it flew out. It was last seen flying back across the park toward the north treeline but we didn't see where it landed. This may be the same bird I found last month at Fort Nathan Hale with the Newington Adult Ed birding class. Mourning Doves remained in the park throughout the day but we did not see the White-winged again.
We had c 165 migrating raptors, predominantly Sharp-shinned Hawks. The morning flight of  passerines was heavy and continued more sparsely well into the afternoon. Most numerous were American Robins (c 2500), Red-winged Blackbirds (c 1700), 150 Purple Finches and House Finches (c 1000). Call notes of both finches were heard almost all day. We also had 50 Eastern Bluebirds,10 American Pipits, 3 Eastern Meadowlarks, and 3 Rusty Blackbirds.
Thanks for sharp eyes to Sol Satin, Bill Banks, Don Morgan, Paul Desjardins, Jim Cortina, Howie Sternberg, Ken Merrifield, Paul Roberts, John Oshlick, Austin Stokes and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting,
Greg HanisekWarerbury