[CT Birds] 2 (possibly 3) Goshawks over Audubon Greenwich today

Ryan Maclean ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:28:12 EDT 2016

Despite not being an incredibly active day at Quaker Ridge this burst of
cold weather brought 2 Juvenile Goshawks over the hawkwatch today at 1:25
and 5:37 PM. The second of those 2 birds came as a huge surprise low over
the field as the sun was setting, very heavily marked down to the undertail
coverts. A possible third juv Gos was also seen but not well enough to be
certain at a pretty considerable height. Chestnut Ridge Hawkwatch (just 10
mins to our North in NY) also reported an adult Gos today.

Other highlights included a Merlin that dove on our plastic owl, 8
Red-Shoulders, 2 juv Bald Eagles, a flock of 1500+ Grackles late in the
afternoon and a flock of 70 Brant.

-Ryan MacLean