[CT Birds] Great Thicket approved!

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:28:25 EDT 2016

I'm just back from a trip but don't see this anywhere reported on the list,
so forgive me if it is redundant.  The Great Thicket is a project that we
at COA lobbied for so it's wonderful to see it approved.

We are pleased to announce that in October 2016, Dan Ashe, Director of the
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), and Wendi Weber, Northeast
Regional Director of the Service, approved Great Thicket National Wildlife
Refuge (NWR; refuge)—a new refuge dedicated to managing shrubland habitat
for wildlife in the Northeast.

Alternative B was selected from the final Great Thicket NWR Land Protection
Plan and Environmental Assessment (LPP/EA). The Service may now acquire up
to 15,000 acres of wildlife habitat from willing landowners as part of the
refuge. The final plan depicts 10 Refuge Acquisition Focus Areas (RAFAs) in
New England and New York which represent the outer boundaries of areas of
interest.

The final LPP/EA document, along with other relevant information including
the Service’s response to all comments (appendix C), Frequently Asked
Questions about land acquisition, and maps of the focus areas, are posted
on the following website:

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/refuges/planning/lpp/greatthicketLPP.html.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut