[CT Birds] Riga Plateau

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Oct 30 15:28:31 EDT 2016

Hi Nick,
Long before I was a birder I was a hiker, and over the course  of many
years I probably traveled just about every inch of trails on the Mt Riga
Plateau. The top of Gridley Mt is for practical purposes not accessible, but  when
I was hiking there was a relatively short trail from Mt Washington Rd
(dirt) to the top of Bald Peak. I don't know if it's private or public, but at
least back then it was open.
There is a relatively short route to the top of Bear Mt,  although it does
involve a steep climb, going south on the Appalachian Trail. If  you go up
Mt Washington Rd to just short of the Mass border (fairly long ride on  a
dirt road) There is a turn-off and parking area to the right. It is for the
AMC's Northwest Camp. If you go to the cabin, then bear left (north) until you
 hit a brook there is a trail that goes west until it hits the Appalachian
Trail.  If you go right (south) on the trail it will take you directly to
the top  of Bear, but be forewarned, it is a VERY steep and rough trail.
(Nothing a young  guy like you can't handle, though). The actual distance that
way is probably  only a couple of miles.
Link below is to a Google Map of the area. Look  for Mt  Washington Rd, and
if you blow it up enough it will show Northwest Camp and the  trail system
between there and the top of Bear. You get to Mt Washington Rd via  Mt Riga
Rd out of Salisbury.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bear+Mountain/@42.0500384,-73.4601639,16z/
data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e77e07f5331acd:0x35556aefd7ecb93d!8m2!3d42.0448138!4d-73
.4548423?hl=en

If for some reason this link doesn't work, just Google Bear  Mountain, Ct.

"Message: 2