[CT Birds] Canton Evening Grosbeaks

Jamie Meyers sunnyctredbird at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 08:31:23 EDT 2016

About 7:15 or so this morning (10/27), while on a morning walk in my
general neighborhood, I was surprised to hear a flyover Evening Grosbeak.
The bird was headed west and seemed to be headed that direction with
purpose.  Maybe half an hour later, about a mile away, I heard another one
very close to me.  I looked up and saw two more in a tree.  They flew
across the road and joined a third one before all taking off.

Given the nomadic nature of this species I'm not sure they are chasable per
se, but this will serve as a heads-up that at least as few are in the state
now.  For the record, the three birds were in a residential area on North
Mountain Road in Canton.  I'm thinking that the Land Trust marsh off meadow
Road in Canton would not be a bad place for them to head to.  Finches tend
to like that spot.

When I first started birding in the mid-1990's I would get them at my
feeders for a couple of days right around Halloween.  The timing is thus
consistent.  There are far fewer feeders up in the area twenty years on due
to the bears though.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT