[CT Birds] Invasive Removal work party

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Oct 31 12:48:30 EDT 2016

Passing this along on behalf of the Farming River Watershed Association:

This Wednesday, Nov 2, Farmington River Watershed Association is coordinating a volunteer invasive plant removal work day at Fisher Meadows Recreation Area in Avon, from 9 AM to ~3 PM.  Our principal invasive plant target is Japanese Barberry, which dominates portions of the High Floodplain Forest at the site.  This type of forest is a recognized Critical Habitat in Connecticut, and this work day is the latest episode in an ongoing experiment, in its 10th year, in the herbicide-free control of invasives and restoration this unique riparian community.

Our core work party is a group of Avon Old Farms School students, but we can use as many additional volunteers as we can get, for all or any portion of our 9-3 work period.  I have attached a map, which shows the Barberry pull area, and where to meet, if you arrive at 9 AM (i.e., Fisher Meadows Trailhead).  The Fisher Meadows Trailhead meeting place is nearly opposite 305 Old Farms Rd (see attached photo).  If you arrive at 9 and can stay till 12 N or 3 PM, we can all drive the 0.7 mi to the actual Barberry pull site.  If you arrive after 9, and/or need anytime other than 12 noon or ~3 PM, you would need to park at the North Gate and walk the 0.7 mi into the site.  NOTE: THERE ALSO A SOUTHERN ENTRANCE TO THE RECREATION AREA, 0.25 MI WEST OF JCT OLD FARMS RD AND RTE 10.

 YOU MAY WALK INTO THE SITE FROM EITHER ENTRANCE, BUT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DRIVE IN ONLY FROM THE FISHER MEADOWS TRAILHEAD ENTRANCE, CA. 305 OLD FARMS RD, AT 9 AM OR ~12 NOON.

Wear long pants and long sleeves (barberry has small thorns), work boots or work sneakers, socks that long pants can be tucked into the long pants).  It is forecast to be an the warm side.

Please bring:

A bag lunch, if you will be with us for lunchtime (FRWA will provide snacks and water) Heavy work gloves if you have them (we have a fair number of pairs of work gloves, so not critical) a 6-foot crowbar, if you have one (we have a several, but do not know how many people may show up) Technu poison ivy preventative and tick repellent (we have both, but are not sure how many may show)

Tor those of you who have never pulled barberry but are familiar with the plant, pulling it is not an awful a chore as you might imagine.  Our technique is safe and practicable by reasonably healthy people of both sexes, ages ~13 through the 70s.

That said, you must agree to participate at your own risk, and please be prepared to sign a "Hold Harmless" agreement, which says that you will not hold the Town of Avon or FRWA responsible for any injuries you sustain.  To our knowledge, there have never been any significant injuries to our volunteers.

It is not required to RSVP, but it would help a great deal if you could, by replying to this email.  You may also call or text me at 860-543-1786.

Thank you and we hope to see you Nov 2,

Bill Moorhead

Consulting Field Botanist

486 Torrington Road