[CT Birds] Northern Shrike, Golden Eagle, Ruffed Grouse

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 15:54:38 EST 2016

Stumbled upon a few good birds during and after hiking in Litchfield County with my girlfriend today. A GOLDEN EAGLE was seen migrating down the east side of Bear Mtn in Salisbury, and a RUFFED GROUSE was flushed on the hike to the summit.

Just now, while detouring through the Under Mountain valley in Falls Village/Canaan, we found a SHRIKE along Cobble Road. While not the greatest look, nothing I saw was at odds with adult NORTHERN SHRIKE as it appeared rather pale gray backed with a thin black mask. The expected species given the location and date. It was perched on the low telephone wires, then actively pursued a House Finch and out of sight.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT

Sent from my iPhone