[CT Birds] NW corner

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 15:59:54 EST 2016

More of a negative report today than anything, but still useful I
think. I did a migration watch from an outlook at Mount Riga today
from 710-1145. It was pretty dead with a nearly non-existent morning
flight. Later in the morning, the only migrant raptors seen were a few
Red-tailed, a Red-shoulder, and a Cooper's Hawk. In keeping with
today's reports, I did have two FOX SPARROWS along Mt. Washington Rd.

Under Mountain Rd/Cobble Road in Falls Village was very quiet. No sign
of Sunday's Northern Shrike.

Up on Canaan Mountain there were a couple pockets of birds including a
lingering PALM WARBLER and several Red-breasted Nuthatches. Had a
Porcupine in a white pine. Nice pine crop in spots up there, to keep
an eye on.

The downtown Norfolk area, known for past sightings of frugivores such
as Pine Grosbeaks during big invasion years, has extremely little
fruit on the ornamental crabapples. Unfortunate if there happens to be
an incursion later this fall/winter. I did not run across much fruit
all day, though I admit to not looking too hard.

Spent a few minutes at Benedict Pond in Norfolk to see if any
crossbills were still around, but it was breezy and birdless, so I
only stayed for a few minutes.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT