[CT Birds] Sharp-shinned or Coopers?

Ryan Wirtes tachycineta at fastmail.com
Thu Nov 17 17:20:20 EST 2016

I am far from an expert, but the GISS, to me, seems to point to a
sharpie.  Also, according to Jerry Liguori,  the white on the tip of the
tail is a useful field mark to use when trying to ID juvenile Cooper's
and Sharpie's in the fall.  Obvious white tip = Cooper's, No obvious
white tip = Sharpie.  To me it looks like this hawk as a not so obvious
white tip.  Also the sharpie's eyes are closer to the center head while
the cooper's eyes are closer to the beak

http://www.hawkwatch.org/blog/item/769-sharp-shinned-tail-tip

Maybe one of the raptor experts out there can give us some help!

--
  Ryan Wirtes
Bethlehem