[CT Birds] Birdcraft Banding Report 2016

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 14:24:04 EST 2016

Connecticut Audubon’s Birdcraft Museum hosts the longest continually
operating banding program in Connecticut having been open since 1977.  In
the past banding took place at numerous locations but now we band only the
spring and fall migrations at the visitor center located at 314 Unquowa
Road, Fairfield. We band Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, weather
We opened the nets for the 2016 season on April 20th.  This is always a
joyous occasion, a reunion of old friends and an anticipation of what the
season will bring.  We banded for 19 days in the spring, banding 253
individuals of 39 different species.  Our busiest days (the height of
warbler migration) were May 10, 11 & 12 with a total of 117 birds banded,
including 16 species of warblers.  We closed the nets for the summer on
June 2nd.  Eight Bluebirds were banded off site in area nest boxes over the
We opened again for the fall on September 8th, banding 344 birds over 29
days.  Fall banding doesn’t have the big migratory push we get in the
spring when every bird is rushing to get the best territory.  Fall brings
rather a steadier pace although we did have one 46 bird day on October
5th.  We try to continue until we get our first Fox Sparrow (the last to
migrate at our sanctuary), which happened on November 10th this year.  We
took the nets down today (November 17th.)  Our 2016 total was 597 birds, 55
species, not including recaptures.  Many thanks to all the banders, to Judy
Richardson, our master bander and especially to Darlene Moore for entering
all our data!
Following is a list of numbers and species banded this year (in
alphabetical order according to AOU code):

American Redstart 11
American Robin 38
Black and White Warbler 2
Black-capped Chickadee 12