[CT Birds] Sharp-shinned or Coopers?

Ryan Wirtes tachycineta at fastmail.com
Thu Nov 17 17:20:20 EST 2016

I am far from an expert, but the GISS, to me, seems to point to a
sharpie.  Also, according to Jerry Liguori,  the white on the tip of the
tail is a useful field mark to use when trying to ID juvenile Cooper's
and Sharpie's in the fall.  Obvious white tip = Cooper's, No obvious
white tip = Sharpie.  To me it looks like this hawk as a not so obvious
white tip.  Also the sharpie's eyes are closer to the center head while
the cooper's eyes are closer to the beak

Maybe one of the raptor experts out there can give us some help!

  Ryan Wirtes