[CT Birds] COA Duck Workshop Report

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Nov 19 13:24:21 EST 2016

Sixteen enthusiastic birders participated in the COA Duck Workshop this
morning.  We started out at Mondo Ponds in Milford.  Notable sightings there
included a drake Northern Pintail, Gadwall, a Hooded Merganser, an American
Coot and a Brown Creeper.  Our next stop was Jonathan Law HS Pond.  We saw
lots of American Wigeon but were surprised to not see the Eurasian Wigeon
among them.  We went to Frash Pond in Stratford from there and saw five
Lesser Scaup and a flock of Bufflehead.  Next, we went to Long Beach in
Stratford.  It took some work, but eventually we found the hen King Eider in
the harbor, beyond the fifth jetty. We all got good looks at her through our
scopes.  Other notable observations at the beach were: Black-bellied Plover,
Dunlin, Sanderling, Horned Larks, American Pipits, and Snow Buntings.  A
good time was had by all.

Chris Loscalzo,

Woodbridge