[CT Birds] Black Thursday

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Nov 24 11:20:19 EST 2016

When I got up this morning I looked out the window to see that  my yard had
turned black. With blackbirds, hundreds of them, All Grackles and  Cowbirds
as far as I could tell. I'm guessing around 500.
Actually I've had a flock of about 50 Cowbirds around here for  a week, and
yesterday, about 75 to 100 Grackles joined them. But it was nothing  like
this morning. Luckily though, because of that, I had covered my main
platform feeder, which I'd just filled with 2 gallons of seed, with a sheet  of
cardboard to try and discourage them. Today's mob would have emptied it in 10
minutes.
However I also spread millet around the yard for the sparrows  and other
ground feeders, and I think they got every grain of that. I went out  and
chased them 3 times, and I haven't seen them since, so I'm hoping they got  the
message and decided it was time to migrate.
I'll keep the feeder covered until tomorrow and if I don't see  them I'll
open it up then and put out more millet. Till then, off to  thanksgiving
dinner and apologies to my local flock.

Don Morgan
Coventry,  Ct