[CT Birds] Late Black-throated Green Warblers

Jamie Meyers sunnyctredbird at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 06:36:45 EST 2016

I'd have to look up the year but a very very late Black-throated Green
Warbler was found at Nepaug Reservoir in Canton on the Barkhamsted
Christmas Count some years ago.  Amazingly, the bird was still there as
late as January 4th.  I'd guess this was around 2001 or so off the top of
my head.  The bird was well described and it was accepted by whoever
accepts these things on CBCs.

Most birders know this but it should be pointed out that any late warbler
of this species should be well studied to make sure it is in fact this
species and not one of the somewhat similar looking western ones.  We of
course had a Hermit Warbler last winter, and we are well overdue for our
first Townsend's Warbler.

I had a late BT Green a couple weeks ago at the Branford Supply Ponds.
Photos revealed it to be that species.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT