[CT Birds] Short-Eared Owl

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Sat Nov 26 17:29:08 EST 2016

Nov. 26, at 3:35ish, I had the SE Owl in the same spot as yesterday here in Somers. I am always hesitant to give out owl locations, but this bird is very rare in CT, especially inland, and I thought some other folks might like to try for it.

If anyone wants to take a walk in the area, the bird has been seen here:

Enter the west end of Durkee Road from Four Bridges Road.  Pass the three new Houses on the left, and about 70 feet past the 3rd house is a dirt road on the left that heads north for 200 feet toward several hundred acres of corn fields.  At the point where the dirt road ends, walk north across the field (slightly uphill) toward an area of tall grasses and scrub, (about 600 feet or so).  This is the high point in the fields.  When you approach the scrubby area, stay to the left and walk along the west side (above it).  As you walk along the ridge, with the scrub area to your right, the bird has been hanging in this area.

There is still a lot of old corn on the ground along the edges of the fields, which I am sure is feeding plenty of birds and rodents, and ultimately the Owl.  This is private property, but I have been walking/birding it for more than a decade without an issue. However, if you do go, please be considerate and respectful.

James L. Pfeifer, LEP
Principal Consultant
Environmental Resources Management
99 East River Dr., 3rd Floor